In honor of Meatless Monday my roomie, a friend, and I whipped up a vegan meal last night. It was only by accident that it was vegan and it was absolutely delicious. I plan on making this again when I’m home for the weekend. (Prepare yourself mom and dad). I found this recipe after a WIAW while scanning other recipes and with a few gluten adjustments (for our friend) we hit the ground running.
For the original recipe check out Healthy Exposures’ blog.
Orange-Jam Tofu and Quinoa
(for 3 people)
What You Need:
For the tofu:
Large block firm tofu
2 T Jam (we used boysenberry)
1/4 t Minced garlic
1.5 T Balsamic vinegar
1/4 t Cinnamon
pinch of chili powder
olive oil to coat the pan
1. Slice tofu in to 1/3 in. thick triangles and place onto heated pan
2. When tofu is golden on one side flip
3.While tofu is cooking start preparing the glaze.
4. In a small bowl, juice the orange, add the jam ,balsamic, cinnamon, seasonings and garlic. Mix well.
5. As the tofu’s crust turns golden begin to spoon on the glaze. It should begin bubbling, let it simmer and then flip half way as the glaze reduces. If you need more moisture add a bit of water.
What You Need:
For the Quinoa:
2/3 C Dry quinoa
1 C Frozen corn (or peas)
3-4 Asparagus stalks
1/4 t garlic
2 medium carrots chopped
1/4 C onions
1. Cook quinoa following the directions on the box.
2. While that cooks in another pan let mushrooms and onions cooks until mushrooms release moisture.
3. Then add the rest of the vegetables, garlic, and vinegar. Cook approximately another 5-6 minutes.
4.Now plate your quinoa, top with with vegetables and then plate tofu.
This is quick and easy once you get started! The tofu is incredibly juicy with the glaze and with any excess you may have it can used as a dressing, pancake topping, or any other way you can imagine. Such a great summer meal! I want to try it as a cold lunch on our next hot day. (Which may be a while, it’s raining as I type…Oregon needs to get with the program. Summer is suppose to be warm, right?!)
The finished dish!
Have you made any meals from other bloggers that you love?
Do you participate in Meatless Monday?