Last night one of my roomies and I finally set out to make a real meal that we could stretch over the course of a couple days. Enchiladas! We created half black bean and half chicken enchiladas with a mild enchilada sauce. This dinner was inspired by the recipe in Mama Pea’s cookbook (which I recently acquired!! Yeah!)
My camera has been M.I.A. ever since the move from my apartment to back to school and my pictures will be from my trusty iphone until further notice. Tragic.
Without further ado here was our enchilada recipe:
1 30 oz can green enchilada sauce
Half of a can of black beans
10 corn tortillas
2 chicken tenders chopped in pieces
1)Preheat oven to 350. In a frying pan cook bell pepper and chicken for approximately 8 minutes. Add onions and continue until everything is thoroughly cooked.
2) Season the chicken with spices to taste.
3) Warm tortillas in microwave (this helps to reduce crumbling as you fold them to put in your pyrex)
4) Pour a portion of enchilada sauce to cover the bottom of your prex for baking.
5) Fill 5 tortillas with the chicken mixture and the other 5 with black beans. We added onions and pepper to our black beans as well.
6) Shred cheese over the top of folded enchiladas (seam side down in pan)
7) Pour remaining sauce over enchiladas and any extra veggies to roast.
8) Bake for 13-18 minutes.
We had enough for two each that night and then remaining enchiladas for lunch and dinner for the days to come. After tomorrow the extras will be thrown in the freezer for a delicious emergency meal. The key to eating tasty and healthy food while in school is preparing in advance! We’ve found, aside from breakfast, if we want something to taste good it is necessary to prep it prior to feeding time.
C lasses are already in full swing on day 4 and I know the library and I will be reacquainted quickly. Hope your week is going well, it is almost the weekend, and a holiday weekend at that! My afternoon plan consists of a decaf latte and quick 30 minutes on the elliptical plus a couple of intervals on the treadmill. After that workout the library and I will finally be reacquainted.